Around 4 pm every day, I get hangry…and I start to raid the pantry. Yes, I could eat some fruit, but if I’m driving kids around, I like to have something less messy. I’ve been tinkering with some recipes for homemade granola bars and came up with this one. I like that this recipe has no artificial ingredients or sweeteners.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 packed cup medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds (roasted or raw)
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (roasted or raw)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup honey
- Dash of cinnamon
- Dash of vanilla
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- Process dates in a food processor until it forms almost a paste.
- Transfer dates to a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to an 8×8 dish or other small pan lined with parchment paper.
- Using another piece of parchment paper, press down firmly to flatten the mixture into the pan evenly. Chill in the fridge until firm.
- Remove bars from dish and chop into even bars. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.